nDash.com is a content creation platform that provides brands and agencies with access to the world's top freelance writers.
I write short technical articles, definitions, interviews, case studies, and white papers that educate business and IT professionals about data management and technology. Several of my DATAVERSITY Articles, as showcased in the features section below, have made top listings at Google. I am looking for work as a writer.
I have a background in software testing, a Master's in Library and Information Science from Simmons College, and an Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIST) Outstanding Information Science award. Both strengths combine with excellent analytical writing.
Find writers and ideas in this industry
Find writers and ideas in this industry
Find writers and ideas in this industry
Trust, teamwork, and technology form the core of Jewell Technical Consulting, Inc. (JTC) and its partnership with Leaseweb USA, a leading hosting and cloud services company whose offerings include Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) solutions. JTC, a company providing private cloud services to North Virginia and D.C. metro businesses, was originally utilizing another hosting facility 20 miles way from its Manassas, Virginia headquarters.
In today’s fast-paced business environment, more and more organizations are looking to become data-driven, and with this comes a renewed interest in Data Management. In such dynamic times, Data Management becomes increasingly important both in “offense” mode – while driving business success and growth – and in “defense” mode – while protecting organizations against risk.
A Business Glossary differs from a Data Dictionary in that its focal point, Data Governance, goes beyond a Data Warehouse or database. A Business Glossary is a means of sharing internal vocabulary within an organization.
Enterprises continue to grow and so does data environment complexity, including data terminology both internal and external to a particular enterprise. Consider a firm that builds computer chips for new devices. Each project may have its own Database System and Data Dictionary. Yet engineers, management, accountants, and customers need to speak the same language to understand one another. A Data or Business Glossary solves this complexity, by referencing vocabulary needed to run the company.
Ontology is often considered a subset of taxonomy. An ontology: Is a domain; contains more information about the behavior of entities and the relationships between them; includes formal names, definitions and attributes of entities; and, may be constructed using OWL, the Ontology Web Language from the W3C.
Data Governance practices need to mature. Data Governance Trends in 2019 reports that dissatisfaction with the quality of business data continues in 2019, despite a growing understanding of Data Governance’s value.
How can an organization thrive in the 2020s, a changing and confusing time with significant Data Management demands and platform options such as data warehouses, Hadoop, and the cloud? Trying to save money by bandaging and using the same old Data Architecture ends up pushing data uphill, making it harder to use. Rethinking data usage, storage, and computation is a necessary step to get data back under control and in the best technical environments to move business and data strategies forward
In 2020, database management will be a mosaic of old and new technologies. Many people have already implemented relational databases or data warehouses — 86.55 percent — according to the recent DATAVERSITY® Trends in Data Management Report. It will not be hard to see why data warehouses will continue heavy usage in 2020. They integrate transactional and operational data and provide valuable business intelligence (BI) through reporting and analytics.
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe said, “Architecture starts when you carefully put two bricks together”—and Data Architecture begins upon creating, storing, and putting two or more characters together, be they sets of records, emails, pictures, audio, video. This resonated well with initial thoughts about Data Architecture, as it is comprised of things, the functionality of those things, and how those things interrelate. However, starting with “things” has limitations.
Thomas Edison may have understood the importance of Master Data Management before the term was formally coined. He said, “The value of an idea lies in the using of it.” While ideas in the early 20th century relied on thoughts and things, ideas in this information age depend on data.
Walk into a company embracing digital transformation and you’ll find monitors displaying colorful charts and pie graphs decorated with numbers. These dashboards show information about the business meant to assist employees in prioritizing work, seeing new opportunities, and driving efficiency.
atural Language Processing (NLP) unlocks the ability of machines to read text, hear speech, and interpret words, and NLP has advanced greatly in the last five years. NLP improves data analytics, detects malware, and fights fake news. For example, using NLP the Citation-Informed Estimated Truth (CIET) software program identifies authentic news with a 78 percent to 85 percent improvement over the Make News Credible Again (MNCA) Machine Learning algorithm.
Find books, articles, white paper and copy writing samples.
* Wrote 850-word blog post "Understanding Data Criticality to Cover Cybersecurity and Operations."
Company: Guardiance Inc., through nDash
I worked there from 9/2020 until 10/2020
• Wrote white paper Trends in Data Management Report in September 2019 and 2020. • Wrote, book, What Is…? A Data Literacy Reference Guide. • Wrote, researched, and verified top articles, including: o Metadata Management vs. Master Data Management o Business Glossary Basics o Case Study: Nearmap Advances AI-driven Location Intelligence • Wrote articles based on technical interviews with small companies
I worked there from 11/2016 until 9/2020
* Wrote copy to sell four or five study Cybrary kits used to upgrade cybersecurity skills and prepare for certification. * Ran labs setting up git with Microsoft Azure for Web API development. * Wrote 500-600 word virtual lab descriptions about server security, cloud accessibility, cryptography, risk management, and networking tools for information technology professionals who wish to learn and upgrade their skills.
Company: Self employed
I worked there from 4/2020 until 7/2020
• Published about fifteen WordPress articles and blogs about data management • Used HTML to update Word Press tags. • Wrote an email copy to sell participation in a conference. • Wrote a forum post for the International Privacy Day campaign. • Created and prepared over 20 blog posts and contributor pages per week, in WordPress.
I worked there from 10/2019 until 6/2020
* Wrote technical requirements for bill processing. * Processed HCFA documentation and perform quality control so that a health insurance client's system application would accept them. * Wrote 3 or 4 user guides for a support utility. * Typed data from digital images and audited form data over 90% speed and accuracy. * Categorized and corrected captured medical bills according to business rules. * Analyzed anomalies to determine appropriate course of action in categorizing records.
Company: Symbeo, formerly Scan One
I worked there from 2/2016 until 8/2019
• Requested and received all documents related to shipments for three different customer accounts. • Wrote at least eight invoices and packing lists describing amount of cargo, financial terms, and cost. • Created training documentation on observed processes to create and prepare documentation. • Prepared export documentation, including invoices and files, on non-routed transactions. • Produced bills of lading for steamship liners to instruct on the types and amounts of cargo to lo
Company: A.C. Wilson Company, LLC
I worked there from 8/2015 until 10/2015
• Doubled efficiency of processing retirement accounts from 9 to 16 accounts in 1 month. • Increased efficiency of processing retirement accounts from 16 to 20 accounts in 1 week. • Verified retirement credentials of Oregon employees. • Wrote effectively to 5-10 employers about the fiscal impact of retirement qualifications in the state of Oregon. • Worked well in a team of 5 people to review, process, and verify retirement accounts. • Used attention to detail in auditing and peer-reviewing
Company: DePaul Industries - Contractor at PERS, State of Oregon
I worked there from 2/2015 until 6/2015
* Entered and maintained an Excel spreadsheet containing transit stops and times for import. * Updated transit mapping data so that two to three bus routes matched. * Inputted map coordinates corresponding to stops onto Microsoft Excel. * Entered time schedules and frequencies of bus routes into GTFS Manager. * Identified stop duplicates. *Used online screen share.
Company: Trillium Solutions
I worked there from 8/2014 until 9/2014
• Wrote procedures, in Microsoft Word, to set up a Postman environment for testing, enabling new QA hires. • Wrote and edited tests, in JAMA, for a few, web APIs, based on implicit and explicit specifications. • Wrote over six issues, in Jira, on an appointment scheduler RESTFUL API. Worked with the developer to resolve these before the end of the sprint. • Ran web services tests using Postman add-in to Chrome, validating RESTFUL API’s.
Company: RANSTAD - Contractor at Cigna
I worked there from 11/2013 until 3/2014
* Built 2 test data files using excel and pivot tables to provide data for validation. * Wrote 2 or 3 test cases, in Microsoft Word, ensuring a new checking software program met requirements. test cases to ensure the program meets requirements. * Validated customer, account, and balance information using SQL. * Validated requirements upon running 4 test cases on Fiserv bank-related applications. * Identified issues about missing and search feature functionality.
Company: VanderHouwen & Associates
I worked there from 11/2011 until 12/2011
• Updated XML configuration files to prep applications under test to point to the correct resources. • Documented procedures, using HTML, on the Commons Website to provide training to QA team members on using test taker utilities and installers. • Created and ran over six test cases on Windows and Mac, verifying Spanish testing scored as expected. * Testing on a variety of operating systems including Windows and MacOSX.
Company: Independent Contractor at NWEA
I worked there from 8/2011 until 10/2011
* Organized objective evidence of over 100 tests for the end of software project. * Completed over 90 tests using Windows Server Camtasia, verifying functionality of a medical device software product. * Identified two serious defects where some table of contents disappeared from the help sessions and the application failed to respond upon hooking up some devices. * Identified .Net configuration issue upon inducing an error message to display as part of a functional test.
Company: Independent Contractor at Lingo Systems
I worked there from 7/2010 until 11/2010
* Designed test lab and test plan to ensure a health software product met specifications. * Created BATs, functional, and regression tests for release of medical software product resulting in the adequate coverage of specifications and timely results. * Identified and communicated inconsistencies in a provider planning module promptly, which has identified incomplete specifications and to keep testing on schedule. * Coordinated testing tasks and technical setup with two other coworkers, ensurin
Company: Mindlance, Contractor at Intel
I worked there from 3/2009 until 3/2010